Establishing the MAC (1/4)
The positioning and composition of the MAC will depend on the structures already in place in country. The following steps help to establish a MAC which is appropriate to country context and needs:
- Review coordination structures of multisectoral policies and plans for nutrition
- Select the best option with all stakeholders
- Prepare terms of reference and way of working
- Appoint the Chair and other members
1. Review coordination structures of multisectoral policies and plans of action for nutrition
A review of existing national multisectoral coordination structures can be undertaken as a first step to help identify the different options for positioning the MAC. Such a review might have already taken place during the preparation phase of the NIPN project.
The review needs to be conducted at the administrative level of the multisectoral nutrition coordination in place, which in most countries is at the national level and in some countries is also at sub-national level. In cases where the NIPN platform is also operating at sub-national level the review and the MAC establishment will focus on that very level.
Such a review assesses:
- Organization of national multisectoral nutrition coordination structures
- Existence of coordinating committees and where they sit within government structures
- Degree of multisectoral involvement
- Degree of functionality
- Mandate and theme of technical committees
- Influence of technical committees on decision-making in nutrition