Step 2: Analyse the capacity gap for NIPN (1/3)
How is existing capacity to implement NIPN assessed and gaps identified?
The objectives of a capacity gap analysis are to:
- Assess existing capacity, mainly focused on individual and organizational capacity as these are the levels at which NIPN largely operates
- Identify the critical gaps
- Prioritise the actions to be taken
There is no single ‘right’ way of conducting a NIPN capacity gap analysis. The exact format of a capacity gap analysis for the purpose of NIPN will depend on the country context, time and resources available. Typically, it involves gathering and analyzing qualitative data.
Some general principles that can be followed include:
- Follow a phased approach
- Ask for support from an expert
- Adopt a variety of methods
- Use the NIPN Capacity Matrix to develop questions
- Focus the analysis on identification of gaps
- Prioritise areas for capacity development
1. Follow a phased approach
The SUN Movement has provided detailed guidance on how to conduct a nutrition capacity assessment and suggests a phased approach (see text box). Make use of the Capacity Development Framework presented in this Guidance Tool.