Establishing the MAC (1/4)
The positioning and composition of a Multisectoral Advisory Committee will depend on the structures already in place in country. The following steps help to establish a MAC which is appropriate to country context and needs:
- Review coordination structures of multisectoral policies and plans for nutrition
- Select the best option with all stakeholders
- Prepare terms of reference and way of working
- Appoint the Chair and other members
1. Review coordination structures of multisectoral policies and plans of action for nutrition
A review of existing national multisectoral coordination structures can be undertaken as a first step to help identify the different options for positioning the MAC. Such a review might have already taken place during the preparation phase of the NIPN project.
The review needs to be conducted at the administrative level at which the multisectoral nutrition coordination is taking place, which in most countries is at the national level and in some countries also at sub-national level. In case the NIPN platform may also be operationalised at sub-national level, the MAC may also need to be established at that very level, preceded by a review of the actors at sub-national level.
Such a review assesses:
- Organisation of national multisectoral nutrition coordination structures
- Existence of coordinating committees and where they sit within government structures
- Degree of multisectoral involvement
- Degree of functionality
- Mandate and theme of technical committees
- Influence of technical committees on decision-making in nutrition