Training curriculum on survey data quality (1/2)
This curriculum includes all necessary materials to facilitate the training: presentations, examples, a facilitator’s guide, practical exercises and their solutions, and parts of real datasets. The curriculum is fully aligned with the recent UNICEF/WHO recommendations(1).
The 3 days-training is organised as follows:
- DAY 1: Survey methods, anthropometric measurements
- DAY 2: Performing Data Quality tests, how to read a data quality assessment report
- DAY 3: Make a decision on data quality level required for the intended analysis
The curriculum is meant to be used by Technical Assistants, that support the NIPN data teams, to facilitate the training of the NIPN team and its partners when relevant.
Note that the curriculum is especially focused on anthropometric measurements, though certain tests can be applied to other continuous variables as well.
Trainers are encouraged to:
- Download the 3 days curriculum materials provided on the next page
- Download the Facilitator’s Guide Word file
- Watch the webinar introducing the training curriculum
- Discuss with NIPN data teams to decide whether the training is relevant
- Adapt the training, as appropriate, and facilitate
To support the data quality tests discussed in the training curriculum, a statistical test package has been developed in R software: nipnTK.r
This package includes built-in functions to generate z-score and perform other data quality tests. It is recommended for users that already have a basic knowledge of R software.
A ‘R’ user guide is also available in order to facilitate performing the tests mentioned in the training curriculum.
- Recommendations for data collection, analysis and reporting on anthropometric indicators in children under 5 years old. Geneva: World Health Organization and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), 2019. Licence: CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 IGO.