Characteristics of the NIPN Dashboard (2/4)
1. Country-owned, appealing to all sectors
The NIPN country teams are responsible for populating the dashboard with data.
Country teams can adapt the NIPN Dashboard template to their own country context and requirements:
- The template provides a solid starting point but country teams choose to include or exclude indicators and to formulate key messages and questions for discussion, tailored to their specific needs and priorities.
- The dashboard is designed purely for in-country use, and not set up to compare indicators across countries.
Potential users come from different sectors. The dashboard aims to include indicators related to the determinants and interventions of various sectors (social protection, water and sanitation, health, agriculture).
Users should be able to visually identify the sections of the dashboard which are of specific interest to their sector.
2. Flexible format, easy and quick to produce
The NIPN data analysis team can add, exclude or modify indicators as appropriate to the country context, but needs to take account of the time frame. Be mindful of producing the dashboard within a reasonable time frame.
- The dashboard can be used as a starting point to initiate policy dialogue, though the country team will choose whether and how to use it.
- The dashboard offers a quick way of starting to implement the NIPN approach. The initial dashboard therefore does not need to be complete or perfect.
- Too much time spent on debate about whether a particular indicator should be added or removed from the dashboard delays completion and initiation of policy dialogue.
- A reasonable time frame depends on the timing of key opportunities for policy dialogue (e.g. the development of next year’s budget, or the new 5-year strategy) and the time needed to populate the dashboard with reliable data.
- The dashboard is expected to lead to better understanding and additional questions which will increase country ownership. As policy questions and more in-depth analysis become available, the dashboard will evolve over time.